Big Astronomy Day – Community Event
It takes big teams of diverse people from around the world to enable big discoveries and make big astronomy work. On Astronomy Day 2023, will you participate in our community event?
How to Participate
Show the Big Astronomy Film at your facility on April 29, 2023 – or for that weekend, or for the month of April! But most of all we would love to see lots of folks showing the film on Astronomy Day.
- The film is free or very inexpensive to license, and available in English, Spanish, German, and French. Get it here
- You can show the fulldome film, or screen the HD flat screen version
- The film is available for you to show any time
Support the film showing with additional activities!
- We are working to coordinate speakers who have visited the observatories in the film. These speakers may be able to speak at your facility in person, or could do a virtual talk on April 29
- If you have requested a speaker, you will be notified by March 1 if one is available for you
- Use the tabletop activities in the Big Astronomy kit for additional learning opportunities that day
- Work with your local astronomy club to provide activities! We have a map showing clubs that already have the Big Astronomy kit. Maybe one is near you
Big Astronomy is Accessible
Let us know you will participate
- Fill out this form to let us know you will participate, and if you would like our help in finding a guest speaker.
- Institutions who participate will be entered into a drawing for a fabulous prize!
- Post photos on social media of your event that day with the hashtag #BigAstronomyDay
Thank you for helping people understand the many diverse STEM careers available at observatories, and participating in our community event!